Notes on Application for Programme
1. Method of Application
- Aged between 18 and 29
- Capable of communicating in Putonghua and reading/writing Simplified Chinese Characters.
Enrolment and Selection Criteria
- Selection criteria for the members include:
(i) Enthusiasm in community services (those with experience in the relevant service would be favourably considered)
(ii) Sense of commitment and mission
(iii) Passion to contribute and be prepared to live and serve in difficult environment
(iv) Leadership and good communication skills; and
(v) After consideration of the above criteria, if there are candidates with same assessment scores, preference will be given to applicants who choose to serve for full year.
- The HAB will invite persons with relevant experience to form a selection panel to conduct an interview for recruiting suitable applicants to the Programme. The selection panel will assign service placements for applicants with reference to their background and strengths. Applicants may also indicate their preference in the section entitled “Self Introduction” in the application form. The HAB shall reserve the right to final decision.
- Applicants invited to the interview will be notified in writing within 2 weeks after the closing date of application and should be present at the venue for interview at the specified time.
- Applicants not engaged may be put on a waiting list of this phase or considered for the next phase of the Programme.
- Applicants may complete the service requirements of The Hong Kong Award for Young People through their services at the Service Corps.
- Those who are interested in the Programme may download the application form on the Service Corps website <http://www.servicecorps.hk> and submit the completed form and personal passport photos with all relevant documents (one original and one duplicate) to Home Affairs Bureau at 13/F, West Wing, Central Government Offices, 2 Tim Mei Avenue, Tamar, Hong Kong by post or by hand. Please specify “Service Corps (Phase VIII): Application Form” on the envelope. Application by post will be checked against postmark. Please refer to the “Submission Checklist” (Chinese only) for the application documents required.
2. Points-to-note and Other Terms and Conditions
- The main target of the Programme is young people of Hong Kong. Applications from permanent Hong Kong residents would be given priority in consideration.
- Members are not allowed to be accompanied by their relatives or friends and live in the accommodation provided by the schools.
- Members must be holders of valid travel documents and must ensure that they are valid for the purpose of the tour.
- Members must complete the Programme as instructed by the HAB and the authority concerned in the Mainland. No change should be made to the tour itinerary and train or bus tickets without permission.
- Members must attend activities related to the Programme and should not be absent, arriving late or leaving early without reasons.
- The HAB will disburse a monthly stipend and reimburse the round-trip transport and insurance expenses on an accountable basis within a specified limit. Members who discontinue service during the period should provide reasonable explanation in writing, otherwise they must bear the expenses for the return trip on their own. The HAB will also deduct the stipend on a pro-rata basis.
- Members must procure insurance with the coverage suggested by the HAB and submit a copy of the insurance documents to the HAB at least 7 days before departure.
- Members must bear their own expenses for any self-arranged activities during their leave.